PROGRAM OF DUŠAN SIMONOVIĆ PRESENTED AT SESSION OF THE ASSEMBLY OF THE MOC ON 23. NOVEMBER
Good team should not be changed
Due to important events occurring in our state (restoration of statehood and recognition by the United Nations), conditions have been created for the Montenegrin Olympic Committee to gain status of national Olympic Committee and sport organization with key position in every county’s sport, which happened at General Assembly of the International Olympic Committee held on 7th July 2007. in Guatemala City.
This is first year in which Montenegrin Olympic Committee will be able to realize all planed and programmed tasks set before one National Olympic Committee, in its full mandate.
Also, in previous period, MOC established quality cooperation with Olympic Committees of other countries, such as – Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia, Germany, Albania, Spain, Italy, Russia and other countries, as well as excellent communication and cooperation with representatives of the IOC and EOC, which represents good basis for realization of planned activities.
Primary program activity of Montenegrin Olympic Committee will be based upon principles of the Olympic movement, Charter of the International Olympic Committee, Statutes of the MOC and in accordance with identified needs of Montenegrin sport, and it will be directed in more directions which have been so far priorities of these Olympic Committee:
– work on affirmation of Olympism and Olympic principles in Montenegro;
– stimulation, realization and monitoring of sport activities in Montenegro;
– participation in creation and realization of sport development policy in Montenegro;
– proposing and creating long-term sport development programs in Montenegro;
– participation in organization of important international competitions and events;
– harmonization of national sport federation’s activities;
– implementation of international rules and adoption of acts related to their application;
– cooperation with the Government and its institutions, especially with Ministry of Culture, Sport and Media;
– cooperation with NGO sector;
– conducting specialty work in sport and taking care of education, training and advanced training
– scholarships for sport talents – Olympic hopes;
– scholarships for Olympic candidates in individual sports;
– providing quality grants for team sports;
– creation of quality Olympic pool, which will enable adequate financing and realization of other
– presentation of Montenegrin sport to international organizations and associations;
– analysis of current condition, especially in area of sport infrastructure;
– providing necessary support and help to Initiative Board in order for Montenegrin Olympic
Academy would start working as soon as possible;
– working on adaptation of internal organization to needs of modern national Olympic Committee;
– taking care of research-development work in sport;
– affirmation of commission’s work appointed by the Montenegrin Olympic Committee, with aim to
include more people in work of this association;
– monitoring and support to top sport achievements of Montenegrin athletes, their participation in
national sport teams at Olympic Games and Mediterranean Games, and in other big competitions
and events organized by the IOC.
Montenegrin Olympic Committee participated in decision-making process for some regulations in active and partner way, in order to determine long-term work and development of Montenegrin sport. First of all, this in relation to the Law on Sport and Law on Games of Chance, including several by laws of these regulations.
I think that adoption of the Law on Sport as basic law to influence shaping and functioning of Montenegrin sport, represents significant success of Montenegrin Olympic Committee, as well. I believe that this law must be completed in order for Montenegrin sport to have adequate legal support long-term. This implies to amendments of other legal acts which treat this area of sport in direct or indirect way.
In future perion focus will be on providing of adequate medical protection of athletes in Montenegro, which was one of the issues Montenegrin Olympic Committee paid big attention to so far, especially to prevention of illicit substances (doping) use. I would like to mention that special commission is already formed, together with the Government of Montenegro, i.e. Ministry of Culture, Sport and Media and was also adopted Antidoping Code and conducted training of several persons for control and prevention in this area.
In cooperation with sport federations, we will work on creation of better conditions for preparations of young, talented athletes, with aim to achieve better placement at the Olympic Games 2012. in London.
Because of better and more quality education of domestic sport staff, it is necessary to establish closer cooperation with Faculty for Physical Culture of University of Montenegro and provide participation of our sport experts in quality workshops and seminars abroad, with aim of implementation of contemporary sport trends.
Especial, and first of all, priority task in future four years period will be creation of spatial conditions for quality work of Montenegrin Olympic Committee, one number of sport associations, and also administration and sport museum, library and similar.
Also, it is necessary to construct mini Olympic Center in order to realise more quality preparations of athletes, and in that sense started specific activities with Municipality Tivat, IOC and German Olympic Committee, so together we could create conditions for finishing this big project.
Priorities in support to specific sports and sport branches will be determined by results of those sports in international level, as it was done so far (in team sports – water polo with great results, and in individual sports – judo, boxing, swimming, athletics, shooting). I believe these good examples in the future can be continued by good results of our handball players (both men andwomen), as well as athletes from individual sports, through quality and justified work.
Here I must mention crown of our past work, organization and participation of our athletes at biggest and most prestigeous sport event – Beijing Olympic Games held this year. Even being debutants, thay were successful in every way, which is guarantee that we have potential for achieving results in biggest sport events.
Based on this principle plan and program, we woill make annual programs which would develop in detail above mentioned plan.
To conclude, I believe that through our future work will appear other tasks which we will have to deal with, because this task in a way, is pioneer task in Montenegro. For realization of this program, it is necessary to have good team, because only with good team work we can achieve quality results, which indicates past successful work of this Committee, whic was confirmed as such by theInternational Olympic Committee, and Montenegrin sport public, and good team should not be changed.